Outreach Carol Stream
About Carol Stream
Outreach Community Center in Carol Stream (OCC) is a multi-purpose, neighborhood resource center serving residents in southeast Carol Stream since 1986. Our goal is to help neighborhood residents work together to build a stronger community. Staff are professionally trained in education and human services, sharing a common commitment to minister to each person’s physical, social and spiritual needs. Services are available without preference to all people and, where fees apply, based on one’s ability to pay.
Outreach Community Center – Villagebrook is a satellite site of Outreach Community Center in Carol Stream, offering after-school and summer programs for 2nd-4th grade students as well as case management services and community development opportunities for those living in the Villagebrook Apartments in Carol Stream. All activities of Outreach Community Center – Villagebrook are supported by Full Circle Communities.
Programs & Services
Jubilee Neighborhood School: Grades 1st-5th
The Jubilee Neighborhood School (JNS) is an educational program that partners with parents and schools to support academic achievement of 1st-5th grade students. Students are provided homework assistance, social activities and recreation plus optional Christian education. Fees are reasonable and many families qualify for scholarships. JNS is offered at Outreach Community Center in Carol Stream and Outreach Community Center at Villagebrook Apartments.
Throughout the school year, the JNS Academic Tutoring program provides academic support for elementary students who need extra help in reading, writing and math. Each student is matched one-on-one with an adult volunteer tutor and attends tutoring sessions twice a week in the afternoon. Tutors assist students with homework and academic goals while providing a positive adult role model in their lives.
The JNS Summer Day School is an eight-week program with four classes for elementary school students. Classroom activities include math and language arts, problem-solving activities, optional Christian education, physical education and recreation such as swimming and field trips. Summer Day School is Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Tuition fees are reasonable and scholarships may be available.
Superb Student Program: Middle School
Superb Student Program (SSP) is designed for 6th through 8th grade students and meets after school. SSP combines homework completion, recreation and life skills activities designed to strengthen academic performance, self-esteem and character. Optional Christian education is offered. A modest fee per semester is charged to offset activity costs. Enrollment is limited to 40 students.
During the summer, SSP youth take part in the Learn 2 Earn summer program, combining interactive academic courses, life skills training, community service work and recreational activities. Students are given an opportunity to earn a weekly stipend based on performance. Enrollment is limited to 55 students and fills quickly. There is a modest fee for enrollment.
College Opportunity Program: High School & College
The College Opportunity Program (COP) removes the barriers that prevent promising young students who come from struggling family or financial circumstances from seeking higher education. COP is a holistic college assistance program, consisting of two components: college preparation for high school students and college scholarships and support.
- Student Achievement Leadership Program (SALT) – SALT is a program for high school students who are interested in developing leadership skills and pursuing higher education or vocational training. The students must be motivated to attain high levels of academic achievement, employment, and strong character. Students meet with program staff during the week for discussion, activities, and academic tutoring. Open gym nights and Bible study groups are optional activities. Occasional field trips, college visits, retreats and career nights are offered.
- College Scholarships and Support – After completing the high school college preparation program, students are eligible to apply for a college scholarship leading them to a four-year college or vocational certification program. Since the majority of the students at OCC will be the first in their family to attend college, removing the financial barriers that could keep them from college is a dream come true. Scholarship recipients receive support from a College Coach, who helps students reach academic and personal goals.
Family Stabilization Services
Counseling services are provided at OCC through Outreach Community Counseling Centers. Each year, our professionally trained therapists provide individual, couples and family counseling for more than 1,000 people in the community. Staff therapists are trained in the latest research and use practices that have been shown to work in addressing a wide variety of concerns.
Case Management services are offered at OCC to assist people in a wide variety of concerns including:
- financial issues
- housing needs
- legal matters
- child care needs
- emergency food
- navigating government services such as public aid and social security
- classes in English as a second language
- referrals for community services
- employment and job training needs
Older Adult Program
OCC supports older adults in maintaining their independence and positive well-being through practical assistance, transportation, budgeting and regular social activities, including bi-monthly Lunch and Learns, weekly art classes, holiday celebrations and more.
The Friendly Visitor program matches older adults with volunteers who frequently visit participants at home.
The Outreach Community Center values bringing residents together to build a sense of community and to celebrate significant dates. The annual events and activities include the Community Barbecue, Martin Luther King Day and participation in Carol Stream events.
Find Outreach Carol Stream
Outreach Carol Stream
Carol Stream, IL 60188
How can we help you?
If you have questions about Outreach, would like to donate or get involved, or if you need help, use this form to reach out. We’ll be in touch as soon as we can.